Anxiety is a fairly widespread problem. It happens that people suffer from it a lot at this time . The current pace of life entails the presence of stress and many other inconveniences. All of this accumulates, leaving the seed of anxiety in people.
We have all suffered from anxiety at times. No one escapes anxiety , as it is about the body’s reaction to preparing for an important event. They are the typical nerves that feel. The issue is when this anxiety gets stuck, without us being able to get out of it. So it becomes a problem that we must solve.
What are the symptoms of anxiety?
It is very important to answer this question . Many people can have a picture of anxiety and not know it. Therefore, the first advice to treat anxiety is to know that you have it. In this sense, we show below a list of the most obvious signs of this disorder:
- Agitation and nervousness continues.
- Having insomnia, or an uncomfortable sleep that does not allow you to rest.
- Dreaming about what triggers anxiety.
- Constant sweating
- Have high blood pressure or a fast heart at all times.
- Fast or short of breath.
- Speak quickly and without order in the words.
- Much difficulty concentrating.
These symptoms are often mistaken for simple stress . Likewise, that the person is simply nervous. But the point is that this anxiety remains fixed, without people being able to overcome it. In such cases, the only solution is to follow certain treatments.
What is the anti-anxiety treatment like?
Ideally, seek professional help , requiring therapy. Important: This therapy is not intended to eliminate anxiety, but to manage it. In essence, the following goals are sought:
- The patient must know how to handle anxiety episodes.
- Recognize the cause that triggers anxiety.
- Avoid problems that cause this condition.
- Understand that anxiety is managed, it is not something that is eliminated.
- Begin to recognize how anxiety can be calmed, as it is different for each person.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is often chosen . With this therapy, the relationship between thoughts, attitudes and symptoms is sought. And this is precisely one of the keys to treatment: it happens that anxiety often happens because of the person’s thoughts, not because of things that happen in reality.
The former is a kind of self-induced anxiety . Incredible as it may seem, it is the most common. People’s thoughts are what usually cause this terrible anxiety. Therefore, you have to know how to recognize them and treat them appropriately. This is the only way to avoid that constant anxiety that does not seem to arise from foreign events.
Tips to keep anxiety at bay on your own
We have already said that it is an excellent idea to ask for professional help. However, people can take some initiatives to avoid this disorder . They are simple tips, which are carried out only with force of will. We indicate them below:
- It is best to get enough sleep . Lack of sleep only causes people to feel more exhausted and unable to concentrate. The latter is a trigger for anxiety.
- A good diet is necessary . Anxiety is often accompanied by intestinal problems. Therefore, it is necessary to avoid that this intestinal disorder is complicated with harmful foods.
- It is better to keep a very regular schedule in daily tasks . This avoids the stress of outstanding issues.
- There is no need to stay locked up in the home . It is recommended to follow, talk, have a social life. Keeping them closed involves cultivating thoughts that can be negative and increase the anxiety problem in people.
- Exercising is very helpful . Physical activity releases substances in the body that improve mood.
- Do not consume alcohol . Neither narcotic substances. The consumption of these substances implies a hangover that worsens the anxiety situation. Likewise, they can lead to the appearance of various types of vices that are not healthy at all.
- The group activities are helpful. Talking, talking about the problem you have, allows you to cope with the situation and get ahead.
As you can see, they are quite simple tips. Therefore, it is recommended to carry it out. In this case, they must be complementary to professional treatment . The reality is that a serious anxiety problem can only be solved with the help of a therapy coordinated by specialists.
Using medications to treat anxiety
This is a relevant topic. It happens that drugs must be monitored by health professionals. Self-medication is not recommended . Above all, because tranquilizers and antidepressants are used, which can lead to addiction.
Likewise, these misused medications only generate a few moments of tranquility , they do not end up solving the anxiety problem.
There is a wide range of drugs used for these cases. Here are some examples in this regard:
- The supply of antidepressants in this regard is very abundant . The point is that they only serve to relieve symptoms, they are not a definitive solution.
- Benzodiazepines or beta-blockers are sometimes used .
- Pills are also used to help you fall asleep correctly.
- Anxiety is accompanied by gastrointestinal problems. Therefore, it is not uncommon for a prescription to appear medicine to solve stomach problems.
- Beware of using headache pills . Anxiety causes severe headaches. However, too much aspirin can be counterproductive.
It happens that the medication is usually very common . However, we insist that the final resolution. A person cannot rely exclusively on medicine to overcome anxiety. We have already said that anxiety is something that you suffer constantly, what you have to learn is to manage it.
The use of medications implies that the person depends on substances foreign to his body. Therefore, the ideal is that any anti-anxiety treatment that has the use of medication, abandon the use of these substances within a certain period of time .
Can anxiety be cured in people?
You cannot avoid anxiety , just as it is impossible to avoid sadness. Simple as that! Sooner or later people go through feelings of sadness or grief. What they must learn is to handle these situations.
If every time someone feels sadness, anxiety or any negative feelings they start taking medication; then you have a problem. People must deal with their emotions. Not knowing how to do it is exactly what causes the problems and the visits to the psychologist.
Anxiety is not eliminated , in the same way that we cannot eliminate sadness from our lives. In this case, the patient is trained to learn to cope with anxiety. Understand that it is a temporary state and that you should not remain stagnant in that situation.
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.