The problem of stress is very common in today’s world. Therefore, it is necessary to establish some habits to minimize this situation. Keep in mind that you must be aware of it. We must accept that we live in a world where anxiety prevails. Therefore, it is necessary to combat it.
This text has a practical purpose. The intention is to show readers a series of habits to control this circumstance. Without further ado, we invite you to read the paragraphs that we present below.
Habits to reduce stress
The following habits are the most difficult to maintain and therefore tend to be the most common. However, you need to cultivate these habits. Therefore, we classify them so that they are easier to understand.
Habits at home
There is no doubt that they are among the most important. They occur in the everyday environment. By mastering these habits, you can be sure of good stress management. In this case, those shared with the family are also relevant. It must be remembered that the families of the nucleus from which social life begins.
- Perform relaxation exercises . You don’t have to be a yoga expert to relax and stabilize your breath. A daily routine helps control the stress of chores around the home.
- Drink enough water . Water helps eliminate toxins and keep cells healthy.
- Do not drink coffee before bed , only in the morning. Coffee or caffeine is a stimulant of the nervous system, so its consumption should be moderate.
- Plan enough rest hours , according to age. Children sleep more than eight hours, but the norm in a healthy adult is that the recovery and repair of mental activity is achieved in seven or eight hours a day. Having a good night’s sleep is essential for the vital functions of the human body.
- Do not smoke tobacco . Tobacco alters the heart rate and creates physiological conditions conducive to stress. Paradoxically, smokers say they relax by smoking; but it occurs by the same addictive chemical reaction produced by the substances that contain it. It is actually a negative feeling, which leads to more consumption.
- Establish good treatment guidelines. The habit of speaking before shouting avoids family tensions. Good treatment, if practiced as a habit of life, favors harmony and maintains strong ties between siblings and parents.
- Put things that are used regularly in one place . The routine is very useful to avoid last minute worries. For example, if you use electronic or metal keys, you should get into the habit of always leaving them in a safe but easy-to-remember place. So every time you need them, you know where to find them.
- The family must get used to carrying out the basic daily activities of the home in an organized and joint manner, according to the hierarchy and age of the members.
- Establish school work schedules , in case there are boys in school in the family.
As you can see, they are habits that tend to be very planning. With good planning you avoid unexpected surprises and make better use of time. This is one way to minimize anxiety and stress levels in the home environment.
We also tend to spend a good part of our time in the world of work. The latter is a trigger for stress. To improve this environment it is recommended:
- Promote the habit of good attitude . Possessing and promoting a good attitude is the most appropriate behavior to avoid friction with co-workers.
- Respect the rest time . As a rule, there are always rest periods at work. It is preferable to avoid skipping them.
- Communicate and ask before you err. The habit of assertive communication leads to strong and trusting interpersonal relationships.
- Be punctual and be responsible with work activities . Getting used to punctuality is more than a habit, an attitude of respect towards the human environment.
- One of the behaviors that most help to avoid falling into work stress is to maintain order. Regardless of the position held, the organization expresses itself in the way the data is stored on the computer, through an easily accessible classification with cloud backup.
- A habit that is always valuable to avoid surprises and optimize the use of mealtime is to cook it at home . Many even bring breakfast. You save money and you don’t have to waste time going to a restaurant or hiring a food delivery service.
- Being cautious can avoid any stressful situation . The habit of taking a change of clothes and shoes with you to work could be an interesting precaution. If necessary, it would be available and it would not be in dire straits and situations.
With these simple tips you can improve the working condition . It remains to say that work is a place of interaction where there is also professional competence. The latter is an inevitable source of stress, but you have to know how to handle it and look at the positive side of the competition.
Habits to reduce anxiety
Mismanaged and unattended anxiety results in a pathological mental state that is expressed in physical symptoms . Healthy habits help anxiety disappear or decrease. Some of those habits are as follows:
In the home
We start again with the homey . It happens that it is necessary to start everything at home. It is the core of our existence, therefore, the main source of tranquility or stress that we can have. In this sense, maintaining a placid environment at home is our responsibility.
- How to avoid stress at home? Well, there are several ways to achieve it and we leave some tips in this regard:
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol and caffeine . No free psychoactive drug can help reduce anxiety. Instead, other habits would have to be acquired. For example, take herbal teas without additives and caffeine. The habit of drinking infusions, such as chamomile flowers, helps to stay hydrated and relaxes the nervous system to sleep better.
- The meditation and self – control of breathing for half an hour daily. A fundamental routine to reduce anxiety at any time in life.
- Eat foods rich in minerals. Potassium, calcium, and magnesium are essential for maintaining good nervous system health.
- Mix physical activities with recreational games . Playing with children and doing group and solo activities will always be good habits.
- Read literature (novels, narrative, poetry). The mind expands when reading is a habit. Certainly, people tend to be more compassionate, kind, and accept themselves for who they are.
- Today there is talk of the anxiety produced by the habit of being aware of digital social networks . This bad habit must be replaced by a healthy one or restrict viewing of these networks to a fixed time of day.
- The bi-monthly or trimester routine of consulting a psychotherapist is now a necessity. You don’t have to be mentally ill to consult a psychologist. You could even make it a healthy habit.
We have just described easy habits to perform . That it takes a certain discipline to abide by them. And it is precisely this discipline that is difficult to achieve. However, there is a detail: we associate the word discipline with stress and anxiety , as something that must be fulfilled.
It happens that, paradoxically, it is precisely the discipline that can give us peace of mind. We have to learn to see discipline as a benevolent habit, with excellent results that can give us the serenity we seek.
Again, a reflection about the world of work is necessary. We spend a lot of time on the job site, hanging out with other people. In addition, work is an area where there is pressure to meet certain goals . This is something that inevitably generates anxiety.
What can we do to control anxiety at work? In this case, the recommendations are somewhat different from those of the home . However, we show a list on this topic below:
- Do the work of each day , without leaving tasks for the next day. Stacking jobs is never a good habit. Tasks are best done according to their urgency and importance.
- Get used to planning to avoid surprises. You have to get used to imagining the various scenarios to be prepared for anything.
- Think rationally based on facts and not on assumptions . Bosses and staff who have a habit of reacting with the liver are bad leaders and subordinates, respectively. The habit of reflection must be cultivated to avoid interpersonal problems.
- The protocol is a habit depending on the context . Dress appropriately for every occasion. At work, ways of dressing are required that must be respected, depending on the degree of responsibility. There is nothing more distressing and distressing than dressing casually at a business meeting where everyone else is dressed formally.
- Share responsibilities and work as a team as a way to achieve short, medium and long-term objectives. It is a custom or habit that favors efficiency and a sense of belonging on the part of the work team.
- Develop the habit of courtesy. Greet is a habit that generates synergy and favors social integration. Based on this, the greeting is not only a demonstration of courtesy, but a basic civic training that favors the harmony of the work team and the work coexistence. Poker faces and social isolation favor negative behaviors and consequences in any professional activity.
- The risoterapia is a tool that therapists implement in enterprises and organizations, at the request of the respective managements. It is a policy that, turned into a habit, improves interpersonal relationships and teamwork.
The work is a responsibility . As such, we must understand it. Maintaining a good work environment is not a matter of sympathy, but of responsibility itself. Many times, the error in the work environment is that the work is confused with the personal.
There is no doubt that both stress and anxiety have an impact on the contemporary world. When we talk about home and work , it is to make it clear that the issue of stress / anxiety affects both the public and private spheres . Therefore, you have to be prepared for both situations.
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.