Human health involves a series of functional states, both physically, mentally and socially. It is a notion that also depends on the various stages of culture and, therefore, is under continuous review. It is irreducible to only a medical condition, although it is regularly considered a healthy person who does not present pathologies that prevent him from developing a full life.
The list of healthy habits for adults and children discussed here are some of the most important. There are 30 healthy habits sub-classified into healthy habits for adults and children , under the categories of health, hygiene and nutrition.
Healthy habits for kids
The main healthy habits that are recommended to be applied in children are described below. All can be used equally by individuals of different ages and gender, these will guarantee a better quality of life because they provide important contributions to both physical and mental health. They will have a better understanding of how their bodies work and how to care for them.
These must be taken into account because they allow for a more adequate psychosocial development . In addition, during their practice children will learn important lessons that will influence how they relate to their environment. They are part of the adaptive and learning process typical of the infant stage. They are as follows:
Health habits for children
- Water covers 70% of the human body. Therefore, the hydration of the child must be maintained before feeling thirsty. Through sweat and urine the human body eliminates toxins. Every child should carry enough hydration in his backpack and invite him to drink water regularly. Drinking water will always be a better option than drinking a soda, it is the best family alternative.
- Prevent children from playing with contaminated soil or sand . In the earth or sand you can find many microorganisms that can pass into the child’s body through the mouth, eyes or skin. The child is likely to have small wounds under the nails that can become infected. Infections are so dangerous that they can be fatal if not caught early.
- Allowing children to engage in group sports activities or play team sports. The social life that facilitates group sport favors empathy, socialization, strengthens integral health and harmony between mind and body.
- Enroll children in cultural activities , such as theater, music, and visual arts. Letting children experiment with various extra-curricular activities, without pressuring them, they will choose where they feel most comfortable.
- Promote in children the responsible and educational use of new communication technologies . Guide the children so that they learn to manage the leisure time that a video game could provide and the importance of the Internet as a learning and information tool to carry out their educational tasks. The adult or representative must establish schedules for both activities.
Hygiene habits for children
- Children must have their own toothbrush and appropriate toothpaste, plus a comb, PH-neutral soap and personalized towels. Thus, the child learns to take care of and take responsibility for his cleaning utensils. And if you eat at school it is important that you can carry a toilet kit in your backpack, which is not the same one you use at home.
- The child should brush his teeth three times a day or after eating. Children should be guided about the importance of having good oral health
- The child should be taught from an early age to keep the bathroom clean . When the child is already autonomous to use the bathroom, it is also necessary to instruct him so that he knows how to use the toilet and clean himself properly, before leaving it.
- Personal hygiene is accompanied by a daily change of clothes , both exterior and interior. Children must learn the difference between wearing clean and dirty clothes. In addition, the minor must know where the dirty and clean clothes go and their ordering.
- Grooming also extends to the ears. In a natural way, the ears are protected by wax; But, cleaning the ears regularly is forgotten when the child takes a shower. For this reason, the ears must be taken care of especially.
Eating habits for children
- Food is the source of energy for the human body. Therefore, energy must be ingested slowly . Eating should be a delightful experience for children. Boys must be accustomed to respect the act of eating. The food ritual also favors its good assimilation and digestion.
- After spending 8 or more hours without eating, breakfast should be the most important meal for any child , where protein, carbohydrates, fruits, cereals and milk or a similar drink should not be lacking.
- It is recommended that the child eat five meals a day , but if it is impossible, the snack plus three main meals should not be absent. It is also a way to control the intake of sweets that only provide sugars.
- It is better for children to get used to eating at specific times . In addition, the intake of large portions should be avoided.
- If a child sees that his parents only eat fried foods, it will be very difficult for him to like other foods cooked through healthier procedures. For this reason, the example is essential for the child to create the habit of eating baked, fresh or boiled dishes.
Healthy habits for adults
In adults, a detrimental process is generally observed in relation to those positive aspects that were put into practice during childhood and adolescence. That is, due to the influence of various elements of adult life, sometimes people stop taking care of themselves. That is why it is necessary to pay more attention to physical and mental care during this stage.
A large part of the diseases in adults is due to the lack of attention to the proper care of the body. But in addition, this neglect also has important repercussions on mental health. Some of the tips and practices that should be integrated into the daily life of any adult are described below. They are as follows:
Health habits for adults
- The affective company is one of the most important needs for the life of the adult. Loneliness leads to sadness and illness. Adults who are protected by various affections are regularly happy and satisfied. Health is integral, physical and emotional, so the cultivation of friendships will always be reflected in a better mental disposition to cope with each day. The love and affection of the environment is essential for health.
- Social activity joins the previous habit , because human beings are gregarious by their own nature. Adults will have a better vital balance in the measure of their social activity. Meeting with friends to enjoy common interests (dancing, eating, talking, etc.) is linked to general well-being and quality of life. Health is strengthened to the extent that adults feel relevant and loved in their social group.
- The rule should be not to smoke and to avoid being a passive smoker . Smokers are in the group most at risk of death. Smoking is associated with the development of cancer, chronic cardiopulmonary diseases, blindness and diabetes, among other diseases. Although cigarettes are harmful to the health of all human beings, in adults it has even more decisive consequences. The toxic substances contained in tobacco significantly reduce life expectancy.
- The physical activity is one of the habits more benefits to the overall health of adults. There are many myths about whether or not to follow a daily exercise plan, but science has shown that personalization of exercise is the key. Physical activity will always be the best alternative to aging. It has been shown that exercise delays the onset of chronic diseases and, if they already exist, reduces their power to affect them. Aerobic exercises are beneficial for the health of the organ systems, especially the musculoskeletal, nervous and cardio-respiratory systems.
- Having a life purpose and maintaining optimism in order to achieve it day by day is a powerful tool to live in healthy harmony with the environment. A productive being is one who performs an activity of positive influence on society. Human beings achieve their goals and objectives in adulthood. It is the stage of intellectual growth and the development of a trade or the most desired profession. To the extent that the adult sees his efforts reaping, the mind clears all negative feelings, which results in health and a better quality of life.
Hygiene habits for adults
- A recommendation that is never lacking is to wash your hands and nails frequently. The hands and nails are the most used contact instruments of the body. Therefore, they are potentially a source of infectious diseases. Prevention is therefore essential. You should wash your hands and the inside of your nails with soap before eating and cooking, when you wake up and go to bed, after using the bathroom, touching garbage and an animal; in any circumstance where your hands are in contact with human fluids and external substances.
- The habit of showering daily is certainly a socio-cultural custom. In many countries where drinking water is not a consecrated right, the habit of showering is a decisive drawback. However, personal hygiene is the main action to avoid mycosis of the skin and the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria. Cleaning the body results in the good perception that people have of each other.
- The skin care passes keep hydrated. Depending on the type of skin, a good hygiene habit is to prevent it from losing moisture. Drinking enough drinking water and hydrating the skin with pH neutral emollients is beneficial for the skin, which is the largest human organ. Also, you should keep your lips and hands hydrated.
- Keeping hair neat and free from seborrhea is a must for anyone. In general, well-groomed hair, a well-kept and clean beard, speaks highly of the person . Both the skin, the hair and the hairs of the face fulfill a protective function from external agents, so they must be kept clean.
- The feet should also be cared for and kept fungus free. In individuals with diabetes, foot care is essential. Exposure of the feet to surfaces of public use or freely accessible to anyone should be avoided. Infectious foot diseases are regularly associated with walking barefoot in common bathrooms. A good hygiene habit is to sprinkle your feet with antiseptic powders and keep them dry.
Eating habits for adults
- Avoiding excessive consumption of red meat , in favor of lean and white meat is always a general recommendation.
- On the other hand, we should avoid processed foods , those rich in refined sugar and salt, in saturated fat and, rather than frying foods in oil, it is better to cook them steamed, in water or “on the grill”.
- The alcohol is not food , it is a stimulant, anyway. Due to this, and taking into account the type of liquor, it should be avoided.
- Consuming more fruits and vegetables is also an excellent habit, along with legumes and foods rich in fiber.
Adults must find a balance between the intake of foods rich in carbohydrates and proteins. It is recommended to eat small portions three times a day, plus a mid-afternoon snack. The guidance of a dietitian doctor would be useful to maintain an ideal weight and avoid diseases associated with excess weight, such as hypertension and hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol), among others. But, above the above, people must find their own diet , the one that their body assimilates best, in order to achieve a balance between what you eat and health.
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.