The qualities or characteristics that can be identified in a person or in an object are called by the name of values. These can be positive or negative, according to the criteria by which they are judged. In the case of people, values are related to behaviors, attitudes, skills and abilities that are unique.
There are different types of values, these are classified according to how they relate to different topics. In the case of moral values , this is a classification that is made up of beliefs and customs that respect already established norms. These have been chosen because they are considered to be correct or incorrect , so people must adapt to them.
Concept and characteristics of moral values
Moral values are the criteria that define what are the actions that human beings can perform from a good or bad perspective .
Following these values depends on multiple variables such as cultural, educational, social, religious, political aspects and experiences; are some of the elements that intervene in the choice of these values.
Sometimes moral values are confused with ethical values. The latter are characterized by being constituted by rules that regulate behavior . Therefore, actions such as responsibility and justice belong to this classification.
Instead, moral values refer to practices and customs of a society that are established with a defined criterion. In this way, moral values will show when something is positive or negative and good or bad.
It is considered that people must act accordingly to the moral values that govern a society. These help them to maintain a better relationship with others.
It also defines the improvement of character and the position that each individual represents, it could be said that following these rules provide various benefits.
Moral values are characterized by:
- Corresponding to actions and decisions, which are considered to allow behavior dictated for a valid reason.
- Set of actions that can be both correct and incorrect,
- People set their behaviors according to these norms.
- The will and reason are two elements that directly influence how a person can be guided by these values.
- They allow people to build an identity and behavior that conforms to what the values indicate.
- They are used as a reference to perfect and transmit a model of coexistence , in which all those involved benefit equally.
Moral values are also described as a set of norms that can be personal, social or spiritual.
- Values allow maintaining a more neutral coexistence within a community .
- Each individual who decides to abide by these rules, maintains a behavior that conforms to them. As a result, you will have to make complex choices.
- They teach during childhood and youth, these apply in all life experiences.
- They have an emotional impact and are directly related to social and ethical aspects.
- They can change in different contexts , depending on cultural and religious factors for example.
- The conceptualization of moral values can change over time.
- They are adapted to a certain time, which is why some actions that were considered immoral can now be perfectly acceptable values.
Types of moral values and their importance
There are several types of moral values, these usually refer to qualities that are generally considered positive . The first of these is honesty, which establishes that people avoid taking actions that harm others.
Actions such as lying or cheating are some of the actions that do not conform to these values.
The solidarity is the sign of empathy toward others. The action that corresponds best is to give help in a disinterested way. This allows consideration with the feelings of others, therefore an action of this type of value is to share or donate material goods. It is intimately connected with goodness , it is the ability to provide care with positive intentions.
Also respect is a value moral because they consider the needs and opinions of others.
The tolerance is also a form of respect, but is broader because it gives opportunity to other cultures, beliefs and religions can express themselves freely.
The humility is a value that dictates that you should be aware of our defects and virtues.
The loyalty is the demonstration of loyalty towards certain people or a particular social group.
The dignity , prudence and perseverance are other moral values; They also indicate which conducts and behaviors allow a healthy coexistence.
Values can be understood as a set of customs that are transmitted to each new generation. In this way, each individual will represent in their behavior and participation in society , what are the values that indicate what is good or bad and correct and incorrect.
Moral values are instilled within the family environment, they are reinforced during social relationships after childhood, they are rooted in society.
They are usually directly related to the dignity of a person. Each individual decides, according to his will, if he is going to be governed by a series of determined values.
Values within a society are not imposed. Although they do exert pressure at certain times, each person is free to choose.
Generally, values help to improve coexistence between people and give an extra quality to each of them.
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.