People claim to possess particular psychological traits that together will dictate how to respond to certain external stimuli. One of the most important topics studied by psychology is the development of the human personality. This quality that gives people a character and also a way of thinking has been the subject of multiple theories.
The personality itself tends to develop as a result of the various daily dynamics that people must face and overcome. They pose psychological factors that alter or reorganize the mind, as a result people learn to manifest certain two aspects of themselves in a certain way.
What is personality from the point of view of psychology?
Personality is defined as a set or pattern made up of thoughts, feelings and attitudes that eventually become recurrent. These same elements maintain a certain stability throughout a person’s life, therefore they can serve as indicators when trying to predict the possible reactions shown with respect to situations or social interactions.
In itself it is a term widely applied in the field of psychology, its recurrent use shows the importance of understanding how it works . Etymologically they have their origin in the Latin term “person” whose meaning could be “mask”. This word era will be used in order to refer to the people who will be in charge of being the actors in popular theater scenes in ancient Greece.
Making a comparison between the role of the actor, who must play the characters; also people in the real world must demonstrate a part of themselves to others. It turns out to be more complex because it involves all the mental traits that shape the mind of declaring individual.
These same elements allow us to distinguish people from others, although it is also important to consider that they can be altered over time. Certain aspects of the personality can be modified according to the experiences lived or own expectations .
What are its psychological characteristics?
Each personality manifests characteristics that are individual and that therefore together maintain coherence in their motivations and actions . The pattern that can be identified responds to one in function, although I have been, it does not mean that it can be exempt from presenting some contradictions. The most common is that traits are consolidated in their own personality that will dictate the way people operate in the face of real events.
Personality can also be described as the union of all recognizable psychic forms that have been internalized. Each and every one of these elements will respond to certain stimuli and situations , these will influence the way of life of people shaping their beliefs and conceptions of the world.
The characteristics and components of the most outstanding personality are described below. However, it is important to mention that in some particular cases it is possible to notice differences with respect to how mental functioning is between individuals . I will be aspect is what makes each person different from another. These are its components:
- The personality is composed of a part called “the inner self.” It is about the one that conscious part of the own conscience that has taken shape according to the perception that we have. This implies that all the thoughts and other elements of the inner world pendulum the function of providing a unique way of thinking , this will dictate which are the principles that will serve as a guide when making decisions, for example.
- Another element is known by the name of “super me”. This is usually described as a set of aspects that define people in instances of social or cultural laws .
- The element known as “it” is part of the unconscious, in it is content suppressed or blocked information, the cause may be its connection with primary or secondary needs . For example, there is pleasure and hunger.
In the same way, super if you saw that personality is an inherent element of people’s mentality. This means that throughout the biological, intellectual and social development of an individual the personality will maintain stability and persistence . In addition, all the elements that comprise it could be apprehended through experience or social interactions, however these are non-transferable.
In the same way, it is also important to mention the factors that were imposed on a personality. From the accused to the model called the “Big Five”, it is about personalities being forged from factors that influence to a greater or lesser extent. They are as follows:
- The personality presents a certain degree of openness , which allows me to have access to nine experiences. State can manifest when people are curious or try to vary their daily lives.
- Some personalities can be outgoing, show better skills in social interactions and for me they can integrate in a better way to society. On the other hand, introversion indicates the opposite, these personalities bursting with social situations and usually inhabit the inner world.
- The responsibility and self – control , as well as commitment are just some of the other salient elements of some personalities. This is used as a measure to try to analyze people who can be considered trustworthy or who have moral principles.
- Kindness and the tendency to show partiately are elements that help people to bond with others . This aspect of the personality turns out to be one of the few common ones.
- Neuroticity brings together all the aspects that indicate emotional instability. It can have various origins such as anxiety or maintaining a negative perception of the world. This can be identified to show poor social skills, irritability, vulnerability, or depression
The main personality types and examples
Determining how many personality types human beings possess is still a controversial topic for psychology . Multiple aspects must be taken into account related to the way of interacting and the experiences to which people are constantly subjected. For this reason, the various investigations carried out with respect to this issue have yielded various results, however they continue to show similarities.
The most usual thing is to consider that there are five main dimensions of the personality which are: kindness, extraversion, openness, new experiences and neuroticism. These elements have made it possible to identify iv main groups which are considered the main personality types.
The most common personality types are the extrovert and introvert . Both are considered to be polar opposites due to the large margin of difference that exists between them. Extroverts have greater abilities to socialize as well as to express their emotions and ideas. On the other hand, introverts have difficulties to perform these same actions, it could be said that they feel more comfortable in their inner world.
Other personalities are classified as obsessive and compulsive , these individuals can adjust to follow norms for which they constantly try to maintain control. In changing, the most creative personalities are characterized by reflecting on key ideas and concepts, providing the opportunity to discover new worlds and original solutions.
According to some other opinions regarding this same topic, there are more types of personalities. Although it is true that each individual has a different form of personality, it is generally considered that some of them maintain similarities in their behaviors and mental patterns .
One of the most recognized filled by indicator name Myers-Briggs , are if it is due to study the behaviors, mental and cognitive risks. It is proposed to analyze individuals based on 16 different personality types. For this, a test is carried out, which poses various questions and criteria that arise from the ideas proposed by the psychiatrist and psychologist Carl Jung. They are as follows:
ESTJ (Extraversion Sensation Thought Judgment)
ESTP (Extraversion Sensation Thought Perception)
ESFJ (Extraversion Feeling Feeling Judgment)
ESFP (Extraversion Sensation Feeling Perception)
ISTJ (Introversion Sensation Thought Judgment)
ISTP (Introversion Sensing Thinking Perception)
ISFJ (Introversion Feeling Feeling Judgment)
ISFP (Introversion Feeling Feeling Perception)
ENTJ (Extroversion Intuition Thought Judgment)
ENTP ( Extrovert Intuition Thought Perception)
ENFJ (Extrovert Intuition Feeling Judgment)
ENFP (Extrovert Intuition Feeling Perception)
INTJ (Introversion Intuition Thought Judgment)
INTP (Introversion Intuition Thought Perception)
INFJ (Introversion Intuition Feeling Judgment)
INFP (Introversion Intuition Feeling Perception)
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.