From Centro Integra , we carry out treatment for different types of phobias in order to overcome and control their symptoms through clinical psychology.
WHAT IS A PHOBIA?
A phobia is an anxiety disorder characterized by the appearance of an inordinate and irrational fear of a situation or object that, in principle, carries little or no danger. Fear and anxiety appear when such objects or situations are present or the person anticipates their presence.
When a person who suffers from a phobia tends to avoid or flee from the situations that produce that anxiety or, if they do not avoid them, they endure them with an intense discomfort that significantly interferes in their daily life, it is best to seek a Psychologist specialist in the treatment of phobias.
SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY BEFORE A PHOBIA
The anxiety response to a phobia can manifest itself through:
- Physiological symptoms: tachycardia, sweating, paleness, dry mouth, diarrhea, …
- Anticipatory thoughts of negative and catastrophic consequences, prior to the situation or activity that triggers the phobia or the presence of the phobic object.
- Avoidance or escape behavior before the phobic stimulus or just anticipating it.
In the case of children, the responses are manifested through crying, tantrums, paralysis or clinging to the figures of attachment and protection.
TYPES OF PHOBIAS
There are countless types of phobias, but the most common are:
- Phobia of open or crowded spaces (agoraphobia)
- Phobia of closed places (claustrophobia)
- Phobia of flying
- Exam phobia
- Social phobia
- Driving phobia (amaxophobia)
- Phobia of public speaking
- Phobia of insects (cockroaches, spiders, wasps, …)
- Phobia of heights (acrophobia)
- Needle phobia
- Phobia of the dark
TREATMENT OF PHOBIA
- Cognitive therapy: learning to rationalize and see your fears differently.
- Relaxation: learn to control the sensations of your body.
- Exposure therapy: gradual and repeated exposure to the source of your specific phobia and the associated thoughts, feelings, and sensations to help you learn to control anxiety.
WHAT TO DO IF I HAVE PHOBIA?
Choosing the best Psychologist for you and your children is not something trivial since it is very important that it adapts to what you are looking for and your specific needs, do you want to know the keys to choosing the best psychologist ?
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.