It is one thing to be sad and quite another to go through a depression. The problem is that most cases of depression go undiagnosed, it is often believed that it is normal, it is downplayed and we prefer to wait for “the storm” to pass. It is important to know the signs of depression since, contrary to what happens with sadness, it does not disappear by itself, it is something that must be treated .
MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS OF DEPRESSION
Here are the most common signs that you are going through a depression:
- Lack of encouragement . It is normal to have “bad days”, but if this happens every day and there is no day that you feel better, it is time to start acting.
- Lack of interest in people and social activities. There is no reason to be always surrounded by people or making plans, but if for a while you have preferred to stay at home always and reject any type of invitation that means setting foot on the street (when before you used to accept without major problem) it can be a a sign that your discouragement is turning into something more serious.
- Make everything slower . Moving and / or doing everything slowly is another of the clinical symptoms of depression since it can affect motor skills and make your movements slower than usual.
- Tiredness . A busy pace of life (work, family, leisure, …) can justify a certain exhaustion, but if “your schedule” does not justify the exhaustion that you have dragged on for weeks and that has lasted too long, it is a compelling reason to consult with a doctor.
- Inability to concentrate . If lately you have the feeling or it happens that you are not performing at work or studies, that it is too difficult for you to do a task continuously or you have “basic” absentmindedness that you did not have before, you are facing another sign that your emotions are warning you of something.
- Sleep related problems . Whether you suffer from insomnia or if you are sleeping all day or wanting to sleep for a long time, it would be advisable to consult your doctor.
- Eating problems . As with sleep, a lack of appetite or constantly turning to food to “reward” sadness is another clear sign that you may be experiencing depression.
- Inability to enjoy . When you have depression and a low mood it is difficult to enjoy anything: leisure activities, social relationships, relationships, …
As you have seen, there is a big difference between sadness and depression, so a correct diagnosis and adequate treatment are essential to restore emotional balance. If you think it could be your case, do not let more time pass and consult a professional to assess it.
Alexa Clark specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She has experience in listening and welcoming in Individual Therapy and Couples Therapy. It meets demands such as generalized anxiety, professional, love and family conflicts, stress, depression, sexual dysfunction, grief, and adolescents from 15 years of age. Over the years, She felt the need to conduct the psychotherapy sessions with subtlety since She understands that the psychologist acts as a facilitator of self-understanding and self-acceptance, valuing each person's respect, uniqueness, and acceptance.